I was doing yoga the other night, and something that the yogi The Journey Junkie said really hit me. We were laying on our mat after the practice, and she said “let yourself be heavy”. She, of course, was meaning letting yourself sink into your mat as your muscles relax, becoming “dead weight” as it were. It got me thinking, though, about this in the context of life.
As a woman who has struggled with body image issues for a while, I have always forced myself to be light. I am a people pleaser, so I will go along with whatever people want to do. I force myself to be as flexible and thin as possible, so that I do not bother or invade the space of another person. I wanted to be a “light” person so that everyone would like me and everyone would want to hang out with me because I was so chill. I didn’t every want people to feel like I was heavy, weighing on them. Have you ever felt like that? In a more serious form, relating to physicality, I struggled with an eating disorder. I tried to make myself as light as possible, so I wouldn’t be heavy. I wanted people to look at me and envy the effortless, thin persona. I didn’t want anyone to worry about me or for me, so I made it all look easy.
Catching Up to the Dark
Once you do that for a while, you start to disappear. That fun-loving, easy-going girl with no opinion becomes all that you are. You seriously start to forget the opinions you once had but ignored, and the weight of being light catches up to you. You lose who you are and what you used to enjoy. That isn’t the kind of person I wanted to be, I realized, so something had to change.
Letting Myself Be Heavy
I decided that I was going to start being myself, wholly, as I was, even if it was heavy sometimes. I embraces the layer of fat that started coming back, as I realized it was normal and healthy. Our bodies are a beautiful, strong organism that we have to take care of. We only get one, after all. I let myself be heavier than I ever had, but surprisingly, by eating HEALTHY, whole foods, and a LOT of them, I began to love the body that I am in. I am not heavy in any normal-brained sense, but I am healthy and I can love that now.
I started to stand up for myself and what I believed in. When people asked my opinion on things, I could answer unapologetically, because I was being myself. The biggest helping factor here was finding the right people to be around. Find friends that encourage you to be yourself, just as you are. Sure, my friends and I don’t agree on everything, but they love me no matter what. Finally, find a significant other that lets you do that as well. My bf lets me be weird and sad and anxious and giddy and passionate whenever I am. He supports me and helps me. I can be whoever I am at any moment, and he will accept that. That, my friends, is true love
Becoming Who I Want to Be
I am still learning, see. And I learn every day from you guys; your strength and your encouraging words. We are all growing, and you have to allow for that growth as you become bigger, stronger, and you take up more space in a room. You brain grows and your spirit grows; you become a powerful person. So this is my encouragement today, stop obsessing over the scale or what other people think of you. Stop obsessing over being as light as possible. LET YOURSELF BE HEAVY, today, whatever that means for you.
I love you all,
We all know that taking care of ourselves is one of the most important things we can do. Maybe we go to the gym, swim, or eat well. One thing we often forget, however, is taking care of our brain. Our mental state is just as important as our physical state, but we often lead it behind. I’ve been focusing on being more mindful with how I am treating my mental state, so here are my best tips for detoxing your mind!
1. Social Media Fast
Okay, I’m sure in this digital age, this sounds a little crazy. I get it, I thought so too. The bf and I started a fast at the beginning of this year, aiming for at least one month, but allowing ourselves to go as long as we feel. I honestly though that I would hate it, and I did at first. I longed to post cool pictures I had taken (I’m a creative at heart), and I longed to see what my friends were up to. It definitely felt disconnected and uncomfortable at first. It is bound to be, and that’s okay!
After a couple weeks, though, I started to notice the pressure wear off. I noticed that I was no longer caught up and distracted by everyone else’s lives, and trying to measure up. As the old saying goes, “the grass isn’t greener on the other side, it’s green where you water it.” As we pledged this year to water our own grass, we saw it grow. I learned to love who I was without needing anyone else to validate it. We are still on our social media fast, though we go on occasionally to check in/up. If you notice, I do have an instagram for my blog. I wished to keep the fast up in regards to this blog, but there really is no other effective way to get out there. At least I can still fast myself from the pressures of comparison from having a personal page.
(Shameless plug here, if you wish to follow my blog on social media, look up @thejjdiaries)
2. Clear your email subs
Am I the only one that gets stressed out looking at how many unread emails there are in my inbox? Probably not. I encourage you to take the time to go through each of these emails and unsubscribe to the ones that you don’t actually open instead of deleting them, or leaving them there. If you have the mail app on your iPhone, it usually give you the option to unsubscribe from lists at the top of the email. I am not sure if this is available on other apps, but this is the easiest way I have found to do it. Take some time out of your day to declutter, and I promise it will be worth it! Think of all those unnecessary emails you will no longer get!
This is a biggie. Hear me out, I wasn’t a huge fan of meditation when I first heard of it. Heck, I still suck at quieting my mind, and I still don’t enjoy just sitting there and breathing.
There are lots of ways to get around this, though! The method I prefer is meditating after the end of my yoga practice. I usually watch The Journey Junkie, and she always includes a little meditation at the end. It feels GOOD, and it isn’t boring! I find myself always enjoying it, and feeling restful afterwards. You could also try guided meditations, I hear the Headspace app is incredible!
4. Get rid of Stressors!
If you know there is something you are stressing about, the messy room, posting or scheduling a post, sending that email etc., the only way to stop stressing is to just do it! The only way to stop stressing is to get rid of it. Clear your space out so that you can have a clean space to think. Your environment truly affects your brain! Stop obsessing, and eliminate it!
5. Declutter, Declutter, Declutter
If you’ve heard it once, you’ve heard it a thousand times. I don’t mean to sound like your mother, but honestly having a clean and organized space will help your brain feel the same way. Clean your apartment/house/room, organize the miscellaneous items, make your bed. I have enjoyed doing a clothing detox as well, where you declutter your closet of items you haven’t worn in the past 90 days. How much could you clear our or give away?
What ways have you found to detox your mind? I’d love to hear them! Comment below or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Love you all
One of my favorite Bible stories is that of Esther. Basically, she is a Jewish exile who is adopted by her cousin Mordecai, and then gets chosen to be King Xerxes’ next wife, and then she (spoiler alert) saves the Jewish people.
To give you a little bit more of a background, King Xerxes was a Persian king, ruling an empire. He throws a huge feast for all of the nobles and officials. He wanted to show off his wife, Queen Vashti, but she was like “I am so much more than my looks!” (Not really, but that’s what I imagine her saying). He divorces her because she didn’t respect his orders, and he starts the search for a new bride.
He has his people gather the most beautiful women in the kingdom, puts them through a year of beauty treatments (oh, Lord), then brings them into his presence. Esther was gathered up and she “pleased” and “gained favor” from the eunuchs assigned to her. The king is also impressed, so he decides to make her his new wife.
During this time, Mordecai finds out that Haman, a man given a seat of honor higher than all the other nobles in the kingdom, plots to annihilate the Jews. This is where Esther 4, one of my favorite chapters in the Bible, starts.
- When Mordecai finds out this plot, he tears his clothes and wails loudly at the injustice. This made me question how often we stay silent in the face of injustice. Do we wail loudly outside the kingdom gates? Do we tear our clothes and fast? Not usually.
- Esther tries to clothe Mordecai by sending him something other than sackcloth. How often do we try to cover up someones grief with a tunic? We don’t solve the real problem or injustice, we just dress it up nicely to silence it.
- Mordecai instructed Esther to use her influence with the King to beg and plead for their people. Esther kept her heritage a secret up to this point, so this would have been a huge “coming out” for her.
- Esther declines out of fear of death because (1) it would be revealed she was a Jew and therefore she would be massacred along with her people, and (2) entering the kings presence without being summoned was punishable by death. We let fear keep us from standing up for what is right. Fear of judgement, anger, etc. How many of us have to fear death though?
[As a sidenote here, I was reminded of John 16:33 which says “Take heart, for I have overcome the world”. Sit on that in this context for a bit.]
- Mordecai pushes Esther even further, saying that her and her father’s family will perish anyways, so just do it! Also, God will save the Jews with or without her, but He is trying to USE her. ANSWER HIS CALL. And then, my favorite line…
And who knows, but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this.
- We are all of royal positions as co-heirs with Christ, how are you using yours?
Landing the Plane
This passage for me always makes me check myself. How am I acting in the face of injustice? Am I a (reasonable) coward who encourages the status quo? Or will I stand up for my brothers and sisters?
I encourage you to think of what God is calling you to do with your royal position. It may be something as simple as writing a blog, or it may be saving the world. Whatever calling you feel, use it to help others.
Let me know in the comments below what you got from today’s devotion! Thank you so much for reading!
Love you all,
I’ve been listening to podcasts for a couple years, but everyone says they’re taking off now! With so many out there, though, how do we choose which ones to listen to? Well, I have created this list of all my favorite podcasts in all different topic areas, so you can get the best of the best!
- Bucci Radio– I’ve followed Amanda Bucci for a while now, and this podcast is the bomb diggity! She interviews a ton of influencers, she’s a social media influencer / fitness youtube star herself, and also features her talking about topics everyone wants to know! She doesn’t just talk about fitness, though, she talks about business and entrepreneurship and online influencing.
- TNT Podcast– This acronym stands for Training and Nutrition Truth. This podcast is not for the faint of heart! The men that run this also run 1st Phorm Nutrition, a trustworthy and scientific supplement company. The amount of sheer knowledge and experience is incredible! They are doctors and experienced fitness coaches. Everything comes down to the science with them, and that’s why I trust what they say! They also feature interviews with IFBB Pros, and other fitness professionals. Go get ya some truth!
- Up First– I listen to this podcast every morning! In this digital age, who has time to read newspapers or even watch the news?! (I don’t, I used to subscribe to the WSJ, a fantastic publication that I never touched because I had no time.) Basically, they give you the top news for the day very early in the morning so you can brief yourself before you do anything else! As a political science nerd, this is so essential for me! With all the “fake news”, “partisan politics” and other divisiveness in the media, this NPR podcast is as unbiased as you can get.
- NPR Politics Podcast– Yes, another NPR podcast. How can I resist, though! This podcast got me through the 2016 election. The cast is incredible, and it truly feels like we know each other. They only upload two times a week (I believe), and their episodes are longer than Up First. For in-depth discussion on issues, though, this is my top pick! Again, as unbiased as possible, and members of the cast are from different sides of the political spectrum.
- The Axe Files with David Axelrod– This man talks to so many cool people, like Gov. John Kasich, Sen. John McCain, former deputy secretary of state’s, senior advisors etc, etc, etc. He is a Democrat, so things do tend along those lines, but he does interview Republicans and Independents as well!
- The Radiant Podcast with Kelsey Chapman– This lady’s heart is so sweet, and now she’s a fellow Colorado girl! She talks to bossbabes all over the spectrum, so for some serious inspiration and a kick in the butt, listen up! Kelsey and her guests will get you fired up to live your dreams!
- Productivity Paradox– The host of this podcast, Tonya Dalton, is the founder of one of the most successful planner companies, Inkwell Press. I love her planners, but I love her podcast even more! She touches on multitasking, compartmentalizing, making better decisions, and all things related to productivity!
- The Ezra Klein Show– I could have put him in the politics section, but he literally touches every subject. He interviews cool people as well, and discusses the big questions of life. He also runs one of my favorite news outlets, Vox News, and their facebook page has the most in-depth and easily digestible videos on all that is happening in the world.
- The Minimalists Podcast– I’ve read their books and followed them for a long time! I consider myself a little bit of a minimalist, but even if that scares you, give it a listen! They talk about important topics such as media, family, clutter, unpleasant experiences, jobs, etc etc etc! They really will shift your perspective!
- The RobCast– Y’all. Rob is an ex-pastor who legit will fill your soul. There is no other way to describe him. Even if you aren’t Christian, he will rock your socks! His books are also incredible, I’m working my way through “How To Be Here Now”! The episodes he does with his wife called zim-zum have been incredible for my relationship. My boyfriend loves listening to them with me!
I know this list was a little exhaustive, but wow I love every single one of these podcasts! Which one are you going to try?
P.S. I may be starting one of my own soon…keep your eyes peeled, and leave your suggestions for topics below!
Love you all!
You can choose to get bitter, or you can choose to get better.
I know hearing that can suck. Sometimes I just want to be bitter and resentful and angry because it feels good in the moment (Come on ya’ll, I know I’m not alone in this). It’s the truth, though. When life just sucks, you can choose to dwell on it, or you can choose to move past it. Here’s 3 Ways to Improve Your Day:
1.) Accept the Sh*t
Things go wrong, plans don’t work out, people disappoint you. It’s bound to happen. The first step to being okay is to accept it. One time, I was dropping my boyfriend off at the airport for a business trip, which was already sad enough, but I parked so I could walk him in. When I got to the pay station to leave, the freaking machine wouldn’t take my debit card! I checked my bank account and I had plenty of money (it was only a $4 charge, y’all), but it was a temporary card, so they wouldn’t accept it. Of course, I didn’t have any cash with me, and I didn’t have a credit card. So, I spent half an hour begging them to let me out of the lot, and they finally gave me an envelope to send them a $4 check in. THIS IS 2017 Y’ALL. All of that to say, by 6:41am my day had already been incredibly crappy. I knew the only way to turn the day around was to accept what had just happened to me, go to King Soopers to get a cashier’s check, and go on my way.
2.) Forgive and Forget
We all know that famous Lauren Conrad quote “I want to forgive you, but I also want to forget you.” Duhn duhn duhn! Okay, so we don’t all have to be dramatic, but I think she’s on the right path. The most important step is forgiveness. Whether its forgiving someone else, yourself, or life in general, you need to forgive. This can take a long time, and I don’t want to rush you out of that stage, but work on it. If you can’t forgive something, you can’t move on.
Secondly, you have to let it go. If you truly have forgiven someone or something, then you won’t bring it up in arguments. You won’t dwell on it when you have some free space in your mind. (You can use that space for so many better things that will actually make you happy!) Here’s the thing, if it’s still bothering you, you haven’t forgiven it. You may have to go back and forgive several times over until you reach the point where you can forget it. If you can’t get here right away, work on it.
3.) Find Something Better
I use this everyday in finding something better to fill my day with. If I have a crappy morning, as mentioned above, I will go grab myself a fancy latte, listen to my favorite podcast, or call someone I love. These things instantly make me feel better about my life because I am bringing the happiness back in. Bring some love back into your life, y’all! Don’t be afraid to do something for yourself. When you replace the anger with joy, contentment, peace, love, kindness, generosity etc., there is no way you can keep feeling like a piece of poop on someone’s doorstep (too far? You get the idea).
I hope these tips helped put some things into perspective. We all want to live our best lives, so let’s enjoy the ride! Instead of being bitter, be better.
Love you all!
Hi, I’m Jordan! First, I want to thank you for showing up here today, and for reading my first blog post! To give you an idea of who I am (awkward speed dating style), I am a 21-year old recent college grad with a degree in Political Science and Exercise Science (don’t worry, this blog will be a lot more exciting than my majors sound!) I am passionate about both of those things, as well as writing and outdoors-y adventures like hiking and camping. I have lived in 3 states so far: Colorado, Washington State and California. My dream is to travel the U.S. in a van, and the world with a backpack, plus my adorable boyfriend, of course.
Onto why we are all here…
I am starting this blog because why the hell not? In all honesty, I’ve started three blogs and a youtube channel (now all deleted) since I was 16. I always knew I wanted to write, but I never thought anything I wrote would be good enough. I was afraid of what people would think, especially those that knew me personally. I have realized, though, that I am incredibly passionate about writing and even if you are the only person that reads these words, it’s all okay. Even if I am the only person that reads these words, at least I am getting it all out. However, if you do choose to stick around, here’s…
What You Can Expect From Me
- Honesty. I promise to always authentically be myself and bring truth to what I write
- Engagement. I am here to write because I love it, but also because I want to help other women discover their best selves. I hope to be a source of inspiration to you, but I want to hear from you too! You can email me anytime with questions, comments, concerns, prayer requests etc. email@example.com
- Lots of cool content! Like I said, I am super passionate about this, and I have a lot of big things planned! Hopefully you’ll love my writing and photography, and hopefully you’ll get a lot out of it!
Now It’s Your Turn
What are you passionate about? What would you do if you knew you could not fail? DO IT. Right now. Create a new tab on your screen and take the first step. Whether it is purchasing a domain name for your blog, buying a camera, selling your car, packing up your backpack, WHATEVER IT IS. TAKE THE FIRST STEP RIGHT NOW. Don’t think you’re ready? Here’s a newsflash for you: you never will be. If you keep waiting for the perfect time, you’ll be waiting your whole life. Feel the fear and do it anyways. I believe in you.
P.S. Thank you again for being here, for believing in me, and reading my passion project. If you are interested, and want to stay updated, you can sign up for my email list here!